6 Signs You May Have A Problem With Your Electrical Wiring

CALL 864-517-1251
Schedule Online

6 Signs You May Have A Problem With Your Electrical Wiring

Electrical problems are likely to happen in every home, and they shouldn’t go unnoticed. While every home has minor issues, electrical problems top the list of major issues. You may notice some problems in your home and you can’t understand what’s happening or why. It may be a good idea to routinely check your electrical panels and wiring to make sure no problems are occurring. On another note, here’s a starter list of common problems with your electrical wiring.

Outlets Don’t Work

Do you have an issue with your outlets where they occasionally work or not at all? To make sure it’s only the one outlet, check the surrounding outlets to see if they are working. If they aren’t, you may have lost power in your whole house. If not, something may have tripped the circuit breaker. Find your breaker to see if a switch is in the “off” position. Once you find it, switch it on. If that doesn’t solve your problem, call in a professional because the problem could be more dangerous to fix.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights may be a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. Replace the lightbulb first to see if that solves the issue. If the lights continue to flicker, you need to consult an electrician. The flickering lights go deeper than the light bulbs themselves. The connections to the fixture or the electrical wiring in the circuit breaker box may be loose. This can be dangerous so you want to make sure you get a professional’s diagnosis and let him do the work for you.

Electrical Shocks

Don’t worry too much if you get static shocks from walking across a carpet or touching your clothes. Static electricity is not a real concern or hazard to yourself or your home. However, if you feel a mild shock or tingle when touching an appliance, a ground fault in the appliance or dismantled electrical wiring may be the cause. Take electrical shocks like this seriously as the wiring can get worse overtime.

Circuit Breaker Problems

This is a serious issue and should get professional attention as soon as possible. Circuit breakers trip when a circuit is overloaded, meaning there’s too much power going into one specific outlet. By shutting off the electrical supply, the breaker prevents wires from overheating and potentially starting a fire. Breakers can also trip when they become old. Occasional tripping can indicate simple overloads. Try plugging the appliance into a different circuit. If a breaker trips frequently, you should consult a professional.

Hot Ceiling Fixtures

You should check the area around your ceiling light fixtures for any heat. Here’s a fun fact for you homeowners: not all fixtures are well insulated. In addition, if you exceed the maximum recommended wattage for the bulb, the fixture can overheat and spark a fire. Research compact fluorescent light (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs to see which one you need, because these bulbs don’t produce as much heat as incandescent bulbs.

Backstabbed Wires

This is a tricky one. When you get any new switches or receptacles, old wires are pushed to the back and more likely to come loose. While this is common and not unusual – even for remodeling and upgrading a new home, loose wires can cause a receptacle or switch to stop working, and start a fire. Be sure to check for backstabbed connections by removing a switch or receptacle from its outlet box. Another fun fact: if you have one backstabbed wire, you probably have more somewhere back there. Release the wires and attach them to the appropriate screw terminals on the receptacle. If you’re not comfortable with this practice, hiring an electrician is your best bet!

Don’t forget Corley is here for you whenever you are in need. We like for our customers to be safe — along with their homes. Contact us today for any questions you have, as no question is stupid, and it could save you a lot of money.