Every year, hundreds of people die from accident carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel, such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. If the appliances burning the fuel are maintained and used properly, then you have nothing to worry about.
However, an improperly functioning heating appliance can release dangerous levels of carbon monoxide that could put your family at risk. It is often hard to tell if someone has CO poisoning, because the symptoms may be like those of other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms.
The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are:
- Chest pain
The Environmental Protection Agency provides some great information on detection and prevention. You can visit their website to learn more.
As a practical matter, you can do two things.
- Hire a qualified Heating & Air Technician to conduct a carbon monoxide analysis on your heating appliances.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors that produce an audible alert in key areas of your home.
If you need further assistance, please call Corley Plumbing Air Electric in Greenville, SC at (864) 619-4252.