With the holiday’s just around the corner, we thought it would be good to post a few tips to keep your kitchen drains clear.
Culprits for kitchen drain clogs are grease and oil, food scraps, sauces, salad dressings, dairy products and other fatty and oily items.
Keep the kitchen drains clean and prevent them from clogging by following these simple tips.
- Stop the clog before it starts. Don’t pour fatty things such as oil, grease, margarine, butter and more down the garbage disposal or sink. Scrape pots, pans and plates into the trash before washing them and pour excess fats and oils in a separate throw-away container.
- One way of keeping kitchen drains clear is to remove any food particles or debris by using a strainer to catch any food particles or running the garbage disposal, if you have one.
- Pouring very hot water down the drain will have the effect of melting or dissolving hardened fats and grease and eventually clearing a drain of solidified grease and oil.
- Pour boiling water down the drain. Then, drop in a teaspoon of baking soda and pour hot water in after the baking soda. This will not only clear the drain but also help to eliminate bad odor.
- Another way to keep drains clear and prevent bad odor is by pouring strong brine or salt water down the drain. Brine or salt water will also prevent grease or fat build up.
- Consider using a bio-remediation drain cleaning solution to eliminate backups. Products like Bio-Clean are pipe-friendly bacteria waste eliminators that won’t harm your pipes. Drain cleaning chemicals are corrosive and harmful to the pipes in your home.
- When all the above fail, calling a professional plumber is a great option. A plumber can quickly get to the bottom of the problem and get your drain fixed FAST.
Contact Corley Plumbing, Air & Electric at (864) 659-2652 or Schedule Service online.