If you have a major plumbing issue, you don’t hesitate to call a professional to help get your home to normal. But if the problem is a little smaller, it can be hard to decide whether to call your plumber or attempt to fix it on your own. To make that decision a little easier on you, we’ve compiled this handy reference guide to let you know when to reach for the toolbox and when to reach for the phone.
Plumbing You Can Handle
- Clogged drains? You can unclog a drain by pouring ½ cup of baking soda down your drain, followed by 2 cups of white vinegar; let the mixture foam up and do its job for about 30 minutes, then rinse with boiling hot water. You can also use a drain snake, just never use chemical drain cleaning agents. If neither of those methods work, nor any of these, it’s time to call a plumber.
- Need to re-caulk your tub or shower? Easy! Just remove existing caulk, clean the area of any mold or mildew, then apply the new caulk for a leak-free bathing experience.
- Want to replace a toilet or a faucet? This should be a very simple job to take on — all you should have to do is turn off your water, unscrew and remove the current fixture, place and screw in the new fixture, turn the water back on, and you’re good to go!
- Having trouble with your aerator? To clean or replace a troublesome aerator, turn off the sink’s water supply and unscrew the aerator. Determine if it has female threading (threads on the inside) or male threading (threads on the outside) — knowing this will help you find the correct replacement piece. Once the piece is removed, you can either gently wash it in another sink or replace it by inserting a washer into the threaded end of the new aerator, gently screwing it into place (being extra careful not to screw it on too tight), then turning the water back on.
It’s Time to Call a Plumber
Reach for the phone and call a professional immediately if you’re having a problem with:
- Broken or frozen pipes
- Sewage leaks or backups
- Replacing your tub or shower, or removing them all together
- Repairing or replacing your water heater
- Anything you aren’t 100% confident about handling yourself
If you have a problem and need a professional’s touch, we’d love to help you out! Give us a call at (864) 661-2811 or contact us online for any plumbing, electric, heating & air, or drain service questions or needs. Your family’s safety and comfort are our top priorities. We’re here 24/7.