How to Keep Your Energy Bill LOW (and Save Lots of Money)!
October, 26th, 2015
It shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to keep yourself and your family comfortable. Thankfully, we know plenty of “house hacks” that will keep your home running smoothly and your family feeling great!
How to Save Energy and Money
Saving isn’t hard if you know what to do! All you need to know to keep your home but comfortable and cost-effective is:
- Set your thermostat to an appropriate temperature: 78 in the Summer, 68 in the Winter, and off in the Fall and Spring (open up those windows in the moderate weather and enjoy some fresh air).
- While we’re on the subject, switch to a programmable thermostat. This will allow you to set a temperature for when you are away from home that will automatically adjust to another more comfortable living temperature by the time you come home.
- While you’re at home you can turn down the heat and stay warm with a space heater, then at night use extra blankets.
- Make sure your home is properly insulated so that no cold air comes into your warm house in the winter, and no warm air comes into your cool house in the summer.
- Regularly clean or replace your air filter so that your heating and cooling system can work at maximum efficiency rather than having to overwork.
- Use your ceiling fans year round. In the colder months you want your fans to spin clockwise to send warm air back down to your living area, and in the warmer months you want them to spin counterclockwise to circulate the cool air.
- Switch to energy efficient appliances and unplug anything that is not currently in use.
With temperatures dropping just a bit each day, it’s time to start thinking about making sure your heating system is up for the season ahead — afterall, blankets can only do so much. Call us now at (864) 416-7492 or make an appointment online to schedule a fall tune up before you have to find out the hard way that your system wasn’t ready. In the mean time, download our fall checklist to see what else you can do to prepare your home for changing weather!