How Can I Keep My Pets Comfortable?
October, 17th, 2015
Just because they aren’t human doesn’t mean our furry friends aren’t members of the family! With colder weather just around the corner, it’s important to know how to keep your pets comfortable since they won’t exactly be able to tell you what they need. Here are 7 tips on how to keep your pets and local animals comfortable during the fall and winter seasons!
Pet and Animal Comfort Tips
- Start by taking your pet for a check up to make sure they’re heading into the new season nice and healthy and to get any tailored advice from your veterinarian.
- Keep your pets inside where they won’t be exposed to ever-changing weather or extreme temperatures.
- If you have a larger pet that you cannot keep inside (a horse, for example), make sure they always have access to food to help them regulate their body temperature and to water that isn’t frozen.
- If your pet is naturally fluffy and regularly goes to the groomer to be trimmed, cut back on their visits and let their coat grow.
- If your pet is not naturally fluffy, keep lots of blankets around inside and invest in a sweater to protect them from the cold outside. (Some pets will appreciate this more than others. If yours doesn’t seem too excited to have a sweater, don’t force them to wear it.)
- If your pet is older and has a harder time getting around in the cold, invest in a heated pet bed that will help ease any joint pain that the lower temperature brings. (Learn how to keep their bed and blankets smelling naturally clean!)
- Even if you don’t have a pet you can help local animals by donating nice, warm blankets to a local shelter, and by checking your car for any cats that may be using it as shelter before you get in and go.
Just like your pet needs a check up to make sure they’re okay, your home needs one too! Download our fall checklist to make sure your home is ready for the changing weather, then schedule your fall tune up by calling (864) 517-1251 or filling out our online scheduling form. We’ll make sure everything is in proper working order to keep your whole family comfortable!